Central Access Reader
This is another “car” you may enjoy taking for a spin! Central Access Reader (CAR) was developed by Central Washington University for reading Word documents. (If you wish to read something which is in another format, you may also paste text from your clipboard, but it only copies into CAR as plain text.)
- Go to the CAR website: https://www.cwu.edu/central-access/reader
- Choose the Windows or Mac version for a free download.
- Save the .exe file and follow the directions.
Once installed, check out the Tutorial. To read a document, drag and drop a Word document into CAR. Adjust General Settings (rate, volume, pause length, voices, math, and tags) as desired. If you’re reading math, be sure to select the correct discipline.
You may also adjust Color Settings (highlighting, content, highlighter word/sentence, font, and theme). CAR allows you to navigate by headings, zoom in and out and export selections as MP3 files or HTML.
NaturalReader offers a free and a paid version. It allows you to read PDFs, Word documents, Rich Text Files, Text files, and ePub files, as well as web pages with the Floating bar.
- Go to the NaturalReader website: http://www.naturalreaders.com/
- Choose the Windows or Mac version for a free download
- Save the .exe file and follow the directions
Once you’ve installed NaturalReader, you adjust some settings such as Speaker (voice). You may then copy and paste text to the reader or you may open a document. (The Mac version seems to offer a better user experience.)
You also have the ability to save audio as an MP3 if you decide to purchase the premium version.